Sports tourism is on the rise, and what better place to exercise outdoors than the incredible places that this Majorca offers? The warm climate and the environment favor outdoor activities and, if you want to take advantage of your visit to practice sports, you will find a lot of options for all tastes: from incredibly equipped football fields, world-renowned golf courses, tennis courts where you can perfect your drive and endless beaches to have fun with water activities. As you can see, the options are endless, so today we want to give you a list of sports to practice in Majorca and the best places to enjoy them. Want to give it a go? Keep reading!
Sports for children in Majorca
Playing sports as a family is an excellent option for an active holiday and is a good opportunity to have a great time together.
- Cycling and MTB. To begin with, there are many bike routes throughout the Majorcan geography. You can take a small excursion on the Palma de Mallorca cycling trail, the Green trail that connects Artà with Manacor or a day in the middle of nature pedaling between Binissalem and Biniagual. With ROIG Fun, you can rent electric bicycles for your routes.
- Adventures in the trees. Another option that will connect you completely with nature is to spend a day in the Majorcan forests, letting your kids slide down zip lines and cross suspension bridges. You’ll find them in Forestal Park, a theme park in Palma and in Jungle Park, an option located in Santa Ponsa.
- Horse riding. If you and your loved ones are equestrian enthusiasts or want to get started in this discipline, in Majorca you will find different companies that offer a horse ride through some of the most charming corners. This is the case of Rancho Grande, where you can get to know the places of the Llevant Natural Park.
- Hiking trails with children. Discovering the charms of the Tramuntana mountain range, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, is one of the best options for hiking with children. Go up to the towers of Llucalcari or the Puig de Randa to admire its beautiful landscape. On the coast, you will also find some excursions, such as those offered in the Mondragó Natural Park, where you can combine your route with a dip in one of the most beautiful coves in Majorca.
- Sports campus for children. But if you want your children to exercise during your holidays, there are campuses of all kinds of sports to practice in Majorca. On the island’s football campuses, your children can dream of being Messi in some of the most prestigious ones such as the Vicente del Bosque Campus, the Sporting Ciutat de Palma, the Real Club Deportivo Mallorca itself or the ACATEC Campus, specialized in Women’s Football. But if they prefer basketball, they can choose to spend a week on the Rudy Fernandez campus, one of the most prominent players in the country. And if we speak of outstanding athletes, we cannot forget to mention Rafa Nadal, who offers daily courses in his academy. If you like tennis you can also go to the Tennis Academy Mallorca or the Jonathan Markson academy.
For the daredeviles, white-knuckle, adventure sports are an excellent option to get to know the island from a completely different point of view. Although you will find more detailed information in our post on where to practice adventure sports in Majorca, here is a short summary:
- Climbing. There are specialized companies in the island that will allow you to do this type of adventure sport. The best places to practice these sports are, of course, in the Tramuntana mountains. In the village of Bunyola, you will find several landmarks such as Sa Gubia or Fraguels. On the other hand, next to the municipality of Andratx, is Puig de Garrafa, an ideal site but not recommended during the hottest months.
- Rappelling and canyoning. Other sports to practice in Majorca are rappelling, canyoning and coasteering, three adventures that will boost your adrenaline. Hold on tight to your rope because you are going down the steepest walls and some of the most prominent ravines of the island. One of the best-known places to practice these sports is the Torrent de Pareis, a unique place that you should not miss during your visit to Majorca.
- Skydiving. But if you are looking for strong emotions, you can also choose to enjoy the bird’s eye views of the largest of the Balearic Islands by trying out skydiving. There are different companies that offer this experience, both in Palma de Mallorca and Manacor.
- Paragliding. If the extreme sport mentioned above is not for you, another way to practice sports in the open air is to try paragliding. Again, the mountains are the ideal place for this activity, but you can also opt for views of the Mediterranean, booking this activity in Alcúdia.
- Long hiking trails. Another of the most popular sports to practice in Majorca is trekking. There are many long-distance routes through different areas of the island, all equally interesting. Get to know the dry-stone constructions with the route marked GR-221, which will take you from Deià, through Sóller and to Pollença in 5 different stages. You can also choose a route through the most charming coves, such as the one that will take you from Maioris to Maioris Decima. To know more options, we recommend our article on circular hiking trails in Majorca.
Where to practice water sports in Majorca
If we talk about sports to practice in Majorca, we cannot forget to mention what you can do in the incredible waters of the Mediterranean. Here you have the most interesting.
- Kayak and canoe. One way to get to know the coast while exercising is sailing in a kayak or canoe. This will allow you to reach some coves and hidden beaches and discover new places full of charm that you could not otherwise discover. You can rent one in the vast majority of points in Majorca, from Cala d’Or, Port de Pollença and to Andratx.
- Diving and snorkeling. Enjoy the marine fauna of the area in the best beaches for diving in Majorca. You can know the charms of the Maritime Terrestrial National Park of Cabrera and its Posidonia fields, delve into mysterious caves and even find a sunken ship.
- Flyboard. There are many beaches that offer this curious activity, which is to propel yourself several meters high thanks to the force of the water. Feel like you’re flying with one of the most explosive sports to practice in Majorca.
- Paddle surf. The calm waters of the island allow this practice throughout the coast. Try the paddle surf in Peguera or Pollença or dare to do a yoga class on top of it in Palma.
- Parasailing and kitesurfing. Although Majorca is not known for its air currents or its surfing scene, other sports such as parasailing, or kitesurfing can be practiced in places like Cala Millor and the bay of Alcúdia.
Team sports in Majorca
There are many team sports that can be practiced in Majorca. On a professional level we find the Real Club Deportivo de Mallorca, which in 2019 is in La Liga Santander league, or the CD Atlético Baleares, in Second Division B. On the other hand, Iberojet Palma, which is in the LEB Gold League, is part from CB Bahía San Agustín, one of the most important clubs on the island. Another popular sport in Majorca is rugby, where Rugby Club Ponent or the amateur team Shamrock Rugby Club, located in Son Roca, stand out.
If you want to practice this type of sports during your holiday, you have the option of finding a hotel with sports facilities, which on this island are not few. On the other hand, you will find municipal fields where you can practice several team sports freely in towns such as Palma de Mallorca (where you will find up to nine options), Calvià, Alcúdia, Santa Ponça, Sencelles, Inca …
Remember that, if you plan to play on the island with your team, you can rely on ROIG Bus, ideal for transfers for sports teams in Majorca.
Play golf in Majorca
As we have commented previously, Majorca is one of the best places to practice golf. Here you will find up to 19 courses for all tastes, such as Golf Andratx, recommended for the most experienced golfers; Golf Santa Ponsa, which in the past has been the official headquarters of the PGA; or the Arabella Golf Son Vida one of the first on the island.
You see, the list of sports to practice in Majorca is endless, so you have no excuse to exercise on this island. Do you have your favorite? Do you have questions about how to get to a specific location? Do not hesitate to leave your comment.